Members of the US Green Building Council (USGBC), representing all segments of the building industry have developed LEED certification.
LEED was created to:
- Define “green building” by establishing a common standard of measurement;
- Promote integrated, whole-building design practices;
- Recognize environmental leadership in the building industry;
- Stimulate green competition;
- Raise consumer awareness of green building benefits; and
- Transform the building market.
The Energy Office is a member of the US Green Building Council and took a leadership role in the formation of the South Carolina Chapter. State employees interested in becoming more involved in the local chapter, in purchasing materials or registering for a LEED accreditation exam, or in registering a building for eventual LEED certification should contact Maeve Mason at 803-737-0411.