In coordination with the Palmetto Clean Fuels Coalition, the Energy Office has launched an Electric Vehicle (EV) Stakeholder Initiative. The purpose of this initiative is to facilitate a broad, collaborative statewide discussion among stakeholders to explore the opportunities to advance EV deployment in the state. Components of this initiative include:
- conduct an EV baseline assessment,
- hold EV educational workshops, and
- evaluate EV advancement opportunities.
In 2019, the SC Office of Regulatory staff held a stakeholder meeting to discuss Duke Energy’s applications filed with the Public Service Commission of South Carolina for an EV pilot project (Application for Approval of Proposed Electric Transportation Pilot and an Accounting Order to Defer Capital and Operating Expenses). While this meeting was designed to focus on Duke Energy’s application, there was broad support among stakeholders for continued discussions on statewide EV electrification – outside the scope of the applications. This statewide EV Stakeholder Initiative is intended to provide a process and forum for broader discussion.
As a first step, the Energy Office requested input in May 2020 on a variety of topics related to EV electrification via an online survey. Information from this survey will be used to inform potential workshop topics and working groups to discuss and make recommendations on EV programs and policies. Survey responses will be aggregated and presented along with data from the baseline assessment at a future workshop.
Join a series of workshops and working groups designed to:
- Examine the legislative and regulatory environment surrounding EVs and EV charging station access and adoption
- Identify challenges and opportunities for EVs and EV charging stations
- Develop recommendations surrounding EV penetration and EV charging stations in SC
SC Electric Vehicle Stakeholder Initiative Workshop #1
Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2021, 1:30 – 3:30 PM EST
SC Electric Vehicle Stakeholder Initiative Workshop #2
Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 1:30 – 3:30 PM EST
In this workshop, participants broke into working groups designed to examine the challenges and opportunities of expanding EV adoption in South Carolina. Below are notes from each of the breakout sessions:
- EV Equity and Accessibility
- EV Charging Infrastructure
- Education, Outreach and Workforce Development
- Incentives & Financing
- Public Entities